News & Resources

FAQs: Recovering Compensation After an 18-Wheeler or Utility Truck Accident

Auto accidents involving 18-wheelers, utility trucks and other commercial vehicles present some unique and challenging legal issues. If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed in a collision involving a commercial truck, here are some answers it will be important for you to know:

Q: Can I sue the trucking company or utility company for my accident-related losses?

Potentially, yes. In the case of a serious or fatal accident involving a commercial vehicle, the best source of financial recovery is typically the driver’s employer. Under Colorado law, employers are liable for their employees’ negligence, and this includes liability for reckless driving, distracted driving and other driving mistakes.

Q: Do I need to report the accident to my insurance company?

Probably. Most auto insurance policies require the policyholder to report all accidents to the insurance company. Even if you are entitled to compensation from the trucking company or utility company, notifying your insurance company could still be important to protecting your legal rights.

Q: How do I file a claim with the trucking company’s or utility company’s insurer?

Filing an insurance claim after a truck accident is very different from filing a claim after an accident involving another passenger vehicle. In order to assert your legal rights, you will need to hire an attorney who can file a claim on your behalf.

Q: How should I decide whether to file a claim?

If you have suffered serious injuries or lost a loved one in an accident involving a commercial truck, you should speak with an attorney about filing a claim for compensation. The financial and non-financial losses resulting from a traumatic accident can be devastating; and, if you are entitled to compensation, it will be in your best interest to file a claim as soon as possible.

Q: How much does it cost to file a truck accident claim?

While filing a truck accident claim is not cheap, it should not cost you anything out of pocket if you hire an attorney. Your law firm should cover the costs while your case is pending, and you should not be required to repay any costs (or pay any attorneys’ fees) unless your claim is successful.

Q: Will my truck accident personal injury or wrongful death claim settle?

Maybe. Like other types of accident claims, most truck accident claims settle. But, the decision whether to settle will ultimately be up to you, and you will want to carefully weigh your options (with the help of your attorney) if a settlement offer is on the table.

Q: What information do I need to get started?

While it can be helpful to collect copies of your medical bills and make sure you still have any photos from the accident scene on your phone, you do not need any information to schedule an appointment with an attorney. During your free initial consultation, your lawyer will explain everything you need to know in order to pursue just compensation.

Schedule a Free Truck Accident Consultation in Denver, CO

Would you like to speak with an attorney about seeking financial compensation for your injuries or your loved one’s death? If so, we invite you to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. To speak with one of our Denver truck accident lawyers as soon as possible, please call  303-333-8000 or inquire online today.

Levine law

Find Out How Much Your Case in Worth

Call us for a FREE consultation. No Fee Unless We Get You Money.

Schedule a Consultation

No Fees Unless We Win

Related Post